The Dutch tax system can be quite complicated, especially if you don’t speak the Dutch language. The TaxSavers is an all-round tax firm. We are happy to assist you with all your questions regarding Dutch taxes.
Health Insurance Benefit
If you are working in the Netherlands and earn an income of less than €38,520 a year 2023 amount), you may qualify for the health care benefits (zorgtoeslag). This allowance goes toward paying your health insurance premium, which is the amount you pay for health insurance monthly.
If you have a job in the Netherlands, then you are required to have Dutch health insurance, and then you can apply. If you are a foreign student and only in the Netherlands for studying and are not employed here, you are NOT eligible for health insurance benefit.
There are some additional eligibility requirements as of 2023, namely:
- You are at least 18 years old
- You are covered by Dutch health insurance
- You have an EU nationality or possess a valid residence/work permit
- Your income (or combined household income) does not exceed the threshold amount (if you live alone, that is €38.520 in 2023)
- Your combined capital (vermogen) is not too high
- if you have a benefit partner (see more about this below), your combined annual taxable income does not exceed €48.224 (amounts adjusted annually)
Providing you meet the requirements, you can apply for healthcare benefit online, via Mijn toeslagen (please note: you will need your BSN and your DigiD).
If you would like assistance with applying for benefits, you can find a benefits service point near you at this link.
You can find an English-language overview of the income requirements to qualify for the health care benefit, as well as how much you can expect to receive and when the benefits are made available, at Zorgwijzer.nl.
Please note: If you are not registered with the municipality as of the 1st of the month, then your health insurance benefit will begin the following month.
What is a benefit partner?
The term benefit partner (toeslagpartner in Dutch) needs some clarification. It can be your
spouse, your registered partner, or someone else registered at your same address who falls into one of the following categories:
- you have a notarized cohabitation agreement (samenlevingscontract)
- you are parents of the same child
- you or your partner have acknowledged one of the other’s child
- you are a partner in the same pension scheme
- you are joint owners of a house
- you or one of the residents have a child younger than 18 living with you
- you are each other’s tax partner for income tax
- you were benefit partners in the previous year
You can fill in the toeslagpartner check at the Belastingdienst website to see if you have a benefit partner.
As long as you meet the conditions, the benefit will be continue to be paid to you each year, but you need to notify Toeslagen if your living or working situation changes, which may in turn change your eligibility.
Find reliable services for your taxes, benefits, and social security needs.
The accountants and consultants firm HLB Nannen has sites in Groningen and Emmen. Although we are part of a national and international network, HLB Nannen has retained its local focus. It goes without saying that we can help you meet your fiscal obligations.
With years of knowledge, experience, and a global network of valued professionals, Expat Management Group is a dynamic group of recognized legal experts and relocation specialists.
Blue Umbrella – The Netherland’s largest online income tax return service provider. File your taxes quick and easy for a fixed fee.