Moving Within The Netherlands
If you move to someplace new within the Netherlands, you need to report your change of address to the government either within 4 weeks before or 5 days after the move.
You may risk a fine if you don’t do this. In addition, if your address is not correct, it could affect any benefits you may be receiving or the taxes you need to pay.
How to report your move within the Netherlands
There are three different ways you can report your move:
1. Go to the new municipality in which you live to report your move; you may need to make an appointment for this beforehand, so check with your local municipality. Bring your passport or country ID card and proof of your new address (rental contract, contract of sale or declaration of consent from the property’s main occupant).
2. Report your move online using your DigiD. Follow the instructions (in Dutch) for reporting your move.
3. Notify the new municipality in which you will live by post. Some municipalities may have a form for this, so check your local municipality. You should include the following information:
- Moving date
- Name, birthdate and BSN number
- Old address in the Netherlands
- New address in the Netherlands
- Names of the people that are moving with you
- Phone number
- Copy of ID of the person who is changing the address