The International School Groningen aims to provide a top-quality individualised education through internationally recognised curricula to young people between the age of 11 and 18. The school stimulates academic success, supporting its students to become lifelong learners, building on the skills and qualities of the International Baccalaureate programmes.
The higher education system in the Netherlands works within a three-cycle system consisting of bachelor’s, master’s and Ph.D. degrees, to standardize the teaching in both the HBO and the WO according to the Bologna process.
Higher education is offered at two levels:
- HBO (Hoger Beroepsonderwijs)
- vocational education, universities of applied sciences
- open to graduates of HAVO and VWO
- oriented towards higher learning and professional training
- WO (Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs)
- academic education, University
- only open for graduates of VWO
- oriented towards higher learning in the arts or sciences
Many bachelor’s and master’s degree programs are in English. All HBO and WO courses fall under the bachelor-master system. Bachelor’s degree programmes are broader, while master’s degree programmes lead to specialisation in a chosen field. HBO bachelor’s degree programmes take 4 years, WO bachelor’s programmes take 3 years. A master’s degree programme takes up to 2 years, while master’s programmes in engineering can last longer. More information about higher education in the Netherlands and how to apply can be found on the Government‘s website.
Higher education in the Northern Netherlands
- Hanze University of Applied Sciences (Groningen)
- NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences (Leeuwarden, Meppel, Emmen, Groningen, Terschelling)
- Van Hall Larenstein University of Applied Sciences (Leeuwarden)
- University of Groningen (Groningen, Leeuwarden)
Find the perfect partner for education or language classes
The GSV is a regional primary school with a Bilingual and an International Department. In our Bilingual Department we provide lessons in both English and Dutch, while in our International Department the children are taught in English. The GSV is a private, non-denominational school located in Groningen-South in the neighbourhood Helpman with the International department […]