Feel free to contact us anytime

please call: +31 (0)50 367 71 97
or mail your question:

Taxes, Benefits and Social Security

Dutch Social Security

The Dutch social security system is very comprehensive; however, the original system is becoming more restrictive in its handling. There are three avenues:

  • National Insurance administered by the social insurance bank (SVB), which includes old age pension (AOW) and child benefit (AKW);
  • Employee Insurance administered by UWV (Dutch only), including unemployment benefit (WW, see below), long-term disability (WIA) and sickness (ZW);
  • Social Assistance administered by municipalities, see: Recht op bijstand (Dutch only).

With each benefit, there are specific conditions that must be met or applied. In addition, your residence rights should be checked to see that they are not affected if you intend to apply for benefits. Your official documents will need to be in good updated order. Consult the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment website for more information.

Unemployment benefit (WW)

If you become unemployed, you may be eligible for unemployment insurance payments. The unemployment benefit is administered by the UWV. Over the short term, this is known as WW Uitkering. You can apply for WW uitkering up to a month before your last work day. Applications for this benefit can be done online at www.werk.nl (Dutch only) or at a local office of UWV WERKbedrijf.

After the application for the unemployment benefit, the amount and duration of payments will be determined by your employment history. In general, a person may be eligible for one month assistance for every year worked. It comprises the first two months at 75% and thereafter 70% of your last earned salary (with a maximum daily rate of €195.96 gross). For 26 out of the previous 36 weeks before the first day of unemployment, you must have worked (may be fewer if you are a musician or artist, or not in regular employment).

If other benefits are in operation, the unemployment benefit can be restricted or reduced.

Welfare assistance (Bijstandsuitkering)

You can apply for welfare assistance (Bijstandsuitkering) if you have not been able to find a job when your WW Uitkering runs out. Highly-skilled migrants are not eligible for welfare assistance. However, a highly-skilled migrant dismissed early from their job may be eligible for unemployment benefits and time to search for a new job. For specifics, see this link

More about unemployment benefits and how to apply (in English) at this link.